Monday, August 24, 2015

"I'm going on an adventure!"



As I'm writing this post, I feel some slight anxiety about the impending serious change in  my life that will be happening in the next few hours.

At eight o'clock this evening, I will be set apart as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

I never thought this day would come. I received the prompting to pray about serving almost a year ago while I was attending college at Brigham Young University-Idaho. It was not in the plan; I'd thought about serving, but never had I thought I would actually be doing it. I had friends who'd opened their mission calls and reported, but never did I think I would be here, packing for the next year and a half of my life and preparing to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, my Savior and King.

A lot of my friends think I'm nuts. I won't have contact with my family for a year and a half, unless it's through e-mail or the annual phone calls. I won't have access to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, or anything of the like. I will be in my missionary bubble, wearing dresses and skirts almost everyday, and focusing my entire existence upon the Lord.

But that's the least I can do for Him.

Eighteen months of my life is a meager sacrifice compared to what my Savior did for me. I am not doing this for me; I am doing this for my Savior. He is my guide, my light, my support -- He is everything, and all I can do to repay Him for what He's done is try and spread the happiness He's brought me and my family.

I am doing this for Him, and I can do this.

My grandfather passed a few days ago after a year-long struggle with an aggressive and rare cancer. He's always been a fighter, and he fought until he couldn't anymore. We buried him today, and I now wear one of his rings on my finger as a reminder of his guidance, his strength, and his unwavering faith in the face of adversity. If he were here, he'd be so excited for me to leave. Actually, I know he's excited. He's going to be serving a mission, too, and I hope to know the souls he's saving one day.

Be strong and have courage, everyone. Love each other like you've never loved before because one day you won't be able to love them like you can right now. Be fire and sparks; spread goodness and charity. Burn brighter than the beacon of evil and show the world how good you truly can be.

My name is Madelyn Rose, soon to be Sister Madelyn Rose. I am a daughter of God; born to be a queen and priestess. I am called to serve in place of my Savior, who watches over me, you, and all that we do.

Mizpah!

No comments:

Post a Comment