Monday, December 21, 2015

We Wish You a Merry Christmas!

Hello, all! I should really learn how to say "hello" in Tongan, since my companion is fluent in it...

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT'S THE WEEK OF CHRISTMAS?! Man! Where did December go? I certainly have no idea. It's so weird to think that it's almost 2016! What on earth are we going to do with this new year?

This week has been pretty chill. Literally, actually. We've been blessed with some chilly weather! I can't help but laugh while we're driving through the hills of Purvis listening to "White Christmas" when everyone here is still watering their lawns, wearing t-shirts, and wearing sunglasses. I've gotten away with just wearing a scarf and cardigan for now -- we'll see if that holds until January! 

Speaking of hills, we biked all over Purvis this Tuesday! We're running a little low on miles we can drive for the month, so we're trying to budget them by biking. I think I biked around nine or ten miles on Tuesday. Those hills are killer -- if you want great legs, just come bike in Mississippi! 

Missionary work is a little odd this time of year. Most people don't want us to teach them until after the holidays. We still tract and increase our finding efforts; we know there's someone out there who needs our message, regardless of the time of year. Everywhere we go, we do our best to share a message about the Savior and His restored gospel, even if it just means giving them a pass-along card and a candy cane. It is by small and simple things that great things come to pass. 

We've done a lot more service than usual, and I do think that's a consequence of the season. I have loved doing service here! People actually let us help them! People want our help with moving them into a new house, raking their lawns, and simply carrying groceries inside. With the gift-giving spirit of the season, people are more receptive to receiving gifts like a small act of service and love. This always reminds me of the Savior, and how He has given so much to us, and how He was always seeking ways to serve others during His ministry on this earth. 

Christ accomplished huge acts of service: He healed the sick, helped the blind see, raised the dead...so many things I cannot do. I am so grateful to be His disciple. My heart is warmed every time I am able to serve one of my brothers and sisters. I have seen so many miracles come from simple acts of service. A gift of love can change someone's heart forever. What are ways you serving your fellowmen? Especially during this season, it is important to remember the giving love of Christ. Christ never did anything for Himself. Everything He did was for others. His love stretches farther than we can comprehend! How amazing is that! I am so grateful to know of the Savior's love in my life. 

I've seen it here with the ward members in Purvis. Some of these members don't have much to give. Some of them don't live in the best of situations, and yet they still make time to feed us missionaries. Some have even wrapped and given gifts to us to put under our little trees in our apartments so that those missionaries who might not have something to open on Christmas can have a gift from someone who loves them. 

I cannot think of a greater call than to give to others. As disciples of Jesus Christ, it is expected of us to give what we can to further the work, to increase the love of Jesus Christ in the world, and to build up Zion. What can you give, brothers and sisters? What can you do to show that light of Christ that I know is in all of you?

This year, the Church released a video called A Savior is Born. The Prince of Peace, Emmanuel, God of Israel, the Christ was born for us so that we could have a Savior to break the bonds of death and release us from captivity. He was born to help us. He was born to uplift us. 

He was born to give. 

What were you born to do, brothers and sisters?

Have a great week, and a merry Christmas! 

Godspeed!

- Sister Rose 

No comments:

Post a Comment