Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Perspective

Missionary Lingo:
Stake: a collection of wards and branches in a single geographic area. For example, the Biloxi, Long Beach, Gulfport, Orange Grove, Ocean Springs (and many other) wards make up the Gulfport Stake.

If anything describes my companion perfectly, it would be this experience we had yesterday:

Whilst walking from house to house, Sister May and I were enthralled in a conversation about our future homes. Dressed in her Sunday best, Sister May was sporting a bright blue dress spotted with white polkadots. Keeping her warm were black tights, boots, and brightly colored socks. Turning to me, she said seriously, "You know what I've always wanted? A coffee table with a little slide-out compartment where you can put your guns."

Oh, Sister May.

Good morning, y'all! It's a very cold day here in Louisiana. Is it freezing out there, too? I'm sure it is since I keep seeing photos of snow! I've forgotten what that stuff looks like. Build some snowmen for me!

This week, quite a bit happened! First of all, I had the opportunity to go to Stonewall, Louisiana on exchanges with the Sister Training Leaders. I am blessed to yet again have Sister Conder as my STL -- along with her past trainee, Sister Marble! They're both lighting Stonewall on fire and blessing the lives of many, and have both blessed mine. I was able to spend a full day in Stonewall with Sister Conder. They are both experiencing some unexpected changes to their ward, and I pray that they will receive the insights and the strength they need to do all the Lord asks of them in the coming month.

Other changes have also happened to this area. You see, the Shreveport Stake has been revised, divided, and reset.

As of Sunday, the Brownlee, Bossier, and Shreveport wards met at the stake center in Shreveport for a "special meeting." We missionaries have known about this top secret meeting for about a month now, but we have been trying to keep it on the down-low until yesterday.

The Brownlee ward has been split in half. We now have the Blanchard and Brownlee wards in this area of Louisiana, as well as a reinstated branch in Minden. The Bossier ward will now meet in Shreveport. The Spanish group is now attached to the Brownlee ward.

I had the opportunity to see a bishop and his counselors get set apart on Sunday -- a privilege few have. I'm very thankful to have been able to feel the Spirit in that room as Brother Adams was given the keys to preside over the Blanchard congregation as their bishop. I know that the Lord's priesthood authority is in this Church, and has been passed down from generations since Jesus Christ's ministry. I am so thankful to have access to that power as I rely on the priesthood holders around me.

Amidst all of this ward splitting, the missionary boundaries have not been redone. Until then, us missionaries in the Bossier area are going to be rather tossed in the air until next Monday at Zone Conference! It will be bucket loads of fun. I love a new challenge to tackle!

As we face new challenges, I am grateful to have the gospel knowledge that I do. I can find peace in the largest of difficulties and the smallest of obstacles. I believe Peter wrote it the best when he said:

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

Whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you (1 Peter 5:8-10).

Those who do not have the knowledge of the restored gospel will face challenges, even the same challenges we do. Having a knowledge of the truth does not exempt you from trials or tribulations; not knowing the truth also does not exempt you from certain blessings -- like a job you wanted, a marriage you worked for, relationships you built, and so on.

But, the point in having the restored gospel is having the eternal perspective in all things. The Lord has molded my life little by little, and is making me better as I see Him in all of my trials, blessings, and shortcomings. When we have an eternal perspective -- meaning, we know the goal and the end result -- then can we stand steadfast in the faith and be "perfected, stablished, strengthened, and settled." We know that our trials come to us in order to strengthen us, and to make us more like our Father in Heaven.

Our goal is to become like Him by learning about Jesus Christ. It is through Jesus Christ that we are saved, that we receive a fullness of joy. I know that. There is peace in that.

The restored gospel offers a heavenly peace that nothing else can. I know that this is where the missing pieces lie. I know that no matter what, if we are seeking for God's will and aligning ours with His, then we will be able to withstand the trials of life and know that in the end we will be refined, better, and even more worthy to stand in the presence of God.

Remember to "[cast] all your care upon him," brothers and sisters. "For he careth for you," as Peter writes (7).

He loves you. He cares for you. Don't be afraid of change, for He is trying to change you for the better.

Have a good week.

See y'all next Tuesday!

Godspeed!

Sincerely,

Sister Rose

Look at this familiar face!
  


 That moment when your fountain freezes in Louisian

I love serving in the South!

No comments:

Post a Comment