Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Into Week 2!

Hello! Sorry for sending this a day late. It was Martin Luther King Day yesterday, so all the libraries were closed! But, school has begun at USM again, and we missionaries are happily e-mailing today. 

Not gonna lie, it's been a weird week! I think that's a consequence of the first week of a transfer, though. Sister Matealona and I can't believe we're already into week two! We can't wait to see what this transfer holds -- for us, the members, and for our investigators. 

We've been dropping people from our teaching pool as they've not kept teaching appointments nor answered our phone calls. And in turn, we've also been dropped by a few people. I deeply appreciate how straightforward those people are, though! One day, they will be able to receive the fulness of the gospel, even if it isn't from my mouth. One of my Sister Training Leaders made a fine point this week: you never know if you're the first, the fifth, or the seventh voice they've heard. For most people, it takes a few tries for them to open their hearts to the gospel. You never know when their spiritual window will be open, so you have to trust in the Lord's timing. 

As we've been working with finding, teaching members, catching mice in our apartment, and trying to plan effectively, I've been finding the Spirit's influence in all things. I remember in the MTC, how strongly I'd felt the Spirit all twelve days I'd been there. I'd felt it in my TRC lessons, in my district classes, even walking down the hallway -- the Spirit was everywhere. In the field, He's there, but you really have to listen for Him, just like you'd do at home. It's easy to miss His promptings; even missionaries miss small nudges in the right direction, but I know that as we continue to strive to listen for the still, small whisperings of the Spirit, we will be able to discern His voice above all others -- even our own. 

For instance, this whole week I've constantly had a less-active couple on my mind. We'd been by their house with a member before. They live pretty far away, and we always miss their road when it's time to turn onto it. We don't know them very well, and part of me was worried about being super awkward since I'd only met them once. Everyday, we set them as back-ups to teaching plans, but a little voice in me kept telling me that that wasn't quite good enough. I tried to push that aside and focus on finding new investigators, but, nevertheless, the little voice kept nudging me, pushing me, putting this couples' name in my head until finally, Sunday evening, I turned to my companion and expressed that we needed to go see them. 

So, we went. 

This couple is old and plagued with health problems. They usually need help cleaning, and they generally don't have the energy to do what they need to. Even so, they let us in, and we chatted a little. I kept asking my Heavenly Father why on earth He had prompted us to come here when I had no idea what to say or do, other than to sit there and ask them about their day, their scripture reading, and so on. 

But, that's what God gives us companions for!

Sister Matealona, my wonderful companion, somehow managed to gear the conversation right to the Savior. It was then that we discovered a large need in this family's wavering testimony. Right then, amidst the distractions of anxiety and uncertainty, I felt the Spirit prompting us to bear our testimonies and ask questions that only our Heavenly Father would know to ask. I left that home feeling assured and confident, knowing that my Heavenly Father had guided us there to help this family. We can't take credit for what transpired in that house; we only have the Lord to thank. If not for Him, it may have been weeks or months before we would have made it to their home. If one more day had passed, who knows what would have happened? 

I don't know if this family will keep the challenges we left them. That is up to them and their right to choose. But, I have faith that they can make it through this. Through Jesus Christ, all things are possible. 

This reminds me of something else I've been studying this week: faith. We had been talking to an investigator one night, and he mentioned how he'd needed to see something to believe in God, in the love of Christ, and in Their love for Him. He reminded me of unbelieving Thomas in the book of John, after Christ has been resurrected and is visiting His disciples. The disciples were rejoicing and spreading the good news that Jesus Christ was resurrected, walking among them. They told Thomas, who doubted. 

Thomas says in John 20, "Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe." 

It's easy to criticize Thomas for his lack of faith, but remember what he's been through. He's seen his Savior and Friend crucified, beaten, betrayed, and killed for beautiful miracles and good works. He saw his hope fade into nothing, and I do not doubt that that affected his faith. So, to be sure, he established that he would not believe until he could touch the Savior's wounds. 

But we know that Thomas did exactly that. With love and kindness, Jesus Christ allowed Thomas to touch the prints of the nails, and said, "Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." 

Many times in our lives, we want our faith to be reaffirmed by miracles. We beg our Heavenly Father, sometimes even demand, that He show us a sign or something to reinforce what we already know to be true. We want miracles, even though we've witnessed them before. If there's one thing you must know, brothers and sisters, it is that miracles are what solidify faith, not create it. 

Remember the story of the brother of Jared in Ether 3. Because he knew of the glory of God, he was able to see the Lord's finger. Because of his faith, he witnessed a true miracle. 

All things work according to your faith. But do not think that just because something doesn't happen the way you thought it would, doesn't mean you didn't have enough faith. The voice that whispers, "You did not have enough faith" is not of God; that is from the father of all lies. Do not listen to that voice. Remember your Father loves you and knows that you are walking by faith, which is not a blind sense. By closing your eyes to the world's methods and allowing yourself to walk by faith, you are opening your eyes to a world of eternity, a world of miracles, a world full of Christ's light. 

How are you strengthening your faith? And how do you show that faith? It is a principle of action. Share with me your faith-building methods! Tell me how you build your faith everyday! Without faith, we can achieve nothing. How has faith helped you achieve the things your Father would have you do?

I love y'all! All is well in Purvis! I'll talk to you next week!

Godspeed!

Sincerely, 

Sister Flower

P.S. Thank you, Brother Gwin, for that nickname ;)

#TheDogsFoundUsAgain

This dog always follows us when we tract! ALWAYS! 

The roads in Mississippi are really cool. This is where we were tracting the other day! #SidewalksAreForTheWeak


No comments:

Post a Comment