Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Let's Zoo It!

Good morrow, brothers and sisters! This heading comes to you from a conversation I had with my companion: 

Me: "We should go to the Hattiesburg Zoo." 
Sis. M: "It's closed on Mondays." 
Me: "Okay, but since it's transfer week, we can go on Tuesday." 
Sis. M: "LET'S DO IT." 
Me: "LET'S ZOO IT." 

It's been a good week! I struggle to remember all that I did! We've been tracting and trying to improve our finding methods since our teaching pool has been shrinking ever-so-slowly with people we've found dropping us, ignoring us, going out of town... And, we've honestly been struggling with just finding! Who would've thought! If you've always been a stickler for tracting hours, let me remind you that tracting is not always the most effective method of finding in an area. I am going to stress again the importance of member involvement! I am gaining an ever-growing testimony of members in missionary work. You members have no idea how truly effective you are in teaching and preaching the gospel. 

Since I've been in Purvis, I've realized that not all missionary work has to do with investigators. Spreading the gospel and teaching it to those who have never heard it is most certainly one of the greatest things you can do to feed the Lord's sheep. However, we must also not forget about the sheep who have already been welcomed into the fold of God, those sheep who know of the true Shepherd and who still need love, still need feeding -- because their testimonies and their hearts are lacking in spiritual food, and the Lord has placed these people into our care for a reason. 

We visit plenty of less-actives in Purvis. We have members who are more than happy to go with us, and that is amazing! Always go with the missionaries! You members are so personable on a level we missionaries can't be, and that is something others need, especially less-actives. There's something that's tweaked at their testimony, that's poked at their heart, that's slid them away from the gospel, even if it's just a little. They're less-active for a reason. And while you probably in most cases should not outrightly demand why this person hasn't attended church...you still have to find out why, and Sister Matealona and I had the privilege of finding out why about a certain woman in our ward. 

I am so grateful to know that these people trust us enough with their concerns to share them with us. And for that reason, I will not disclose who this person is or what exactly her problem was. There are some issues with some less-active church members that are beyond the powers of a missionary to fix. We are not testimony repairers. But, through the power of the Spirit and the love of Jesus Christ, we can find a way to mend the tears in the hearts of members who have wandered from the fold, as this woman had. I remember the Spirit filling my heart as she spoke of her concern, and as we talked, I saw something in her eyes. I saw a glimmer of hope, a light of faith rekindle as she gripped her Book of Mormon. 

There is always hope, brothers and sisters. This week, I have been made aware of the lives changed through visits from members, active challenge-extending, and love of fellow brothers and sisters. You have no idea how your testimony can change the life of another. You really have no idea. I have seen a visible light return to the eyes of members who I did not see for the first few weeks of my being in Purvis, and now they are beginning to come to church diligently. I have seen Christ touch these people with every visit, every phone call, every time they set foot in the chapel -- I have seen it. 

Our Savior's love is so real. He so sincerely cares for each and every one of us, even those who have strayed a little, or a lot. You are not a lost sheep. You will be found if you call for your Shepherd, and He will find you. 

In light of my last e-mail, my mother always taught me to never pray for patience. Why? Because it will always be tested, and you will feel like a failure. Knowing this, I've been consistently praying for patience so I can better understand this heavenly virtue of our Savior. In response, my Heavenly Father has been teaching me the things of eternity little by little as the map of my mission unfolds, and I see the light of the Savior illuminate the world around me. How have you been able to see the Savior's light more abundantly in your life? If you can't see it, pray for it. Look for it. It's there. He is always there. 

I love y'all, and I hope the week brings fantastic things! 

Godspeed!

Sincerely, 

Sister Rose 

P.S. This transfer is going to be SEVEN WEEKS!!!!!! With the new MTC policy, the transfer times are all being changed! AH! So this will be a seven-week transfer, and we'll go back to a hearty six weeks right after :) 

Look! My companion took a beautiful selfie on my camera without my knowing while I was cleaning the pool!! So it gets to go on my blog!!!!!!!!!!!! (Love you, Sister Matealonaaaaaa)

 Sis M. hung her new flag!

COWS!! while tracting 

I have no clue what this is, but it's in a yard of a member's home! 

We cleaned a pool for Pre-Transfer Day of Service :) It was freezing :) 

trees! That still have leaves! In January!
?!?!!!???


1 comment:

  1. So did you ever get to go to the zoo? We love having you and sister m with us. Cool flag she got. Oh and that thing you didn't know what its called, its an old cultivator.

    ReplyDelete