Monday, August 15, 2016

[Goats Bleating in the Distance]

Gooooooooooooood day to y'all! It's the afternoon right now. Not having a car makes our whole day go out of whack. But, that's okay!! We will wend our way with joy.

It's transfer week, though. Can you believe that? It feels like this transfer has just flown by! We're already halfway through August; soon it'll be fall! Crazy weird, man.

This transfer, we say good-bye to Elder Paxton. I served with him for a hearty five transfers, counting our time in Biloxi. You will be well-missed, Elder Paxton, but you will do well wherever you go! We will also say good-bye to Elder Smith, our dear Zone Leader. I have no idea where these two will be going, but wherever they go is exactly where the Lord needs them.

So, this transfer, the Biloxi and Ocean Springs districts will be combining, making this district this biggest one I've ever been in. In this district we now have the Woolmarket Elders, D'iberville Elders, Biloxi Spanish Elders, the Biloxi Sisters, Ocean Springs Elders, and Ocean Springs Sisters. Wow! That's twelve missionaries! Whew! I'll give you names next Monday!

In other news, we had a Zone Training Meeting this past Wednesday. The entire Gulfport Zone met together to receive spiritual enlightenment from our Zone Leaders and Sister Training Leaders. I know how much preparation goes into these meetings, so I deeply appreciate these missionaries' dedication to following the Spirit and doing what they feel is best for our zone.

You learn a lot about yourself when you're around others. You learn how others affect you, how you talk, how you react to certain people -- people are the way we learn. Humans are social creatures; we need that socialization to live. This is not a coincidence or a temporary hurdle; I know that this has been patterned after Heaven. We frequently forget that the things we feel, see, and experience here are very similar to things we will experience in the afterlife. Heavenly Father would not throw us into a life that would not apply hereafter. What you are going through now will have everything to do with who you will be in the eternities.

I think about that when we're tracting sometimes. It's hot, so I have to focus on something else, right? Sometimes we'll come across a rare agnostic man, who is kind and receives us with welcome arms and yet keeps us at arm's length because he has found his truth -- and it doesn't involve Heavenly Father or Jesus Christ. Things like that break my heart. How do you help those who are comfortable in what they know? How do you let them know that there's more? That there's someone always watching out for them? How do you help them?

I think of those who don't want us there. I think of those who have fallen away; those who are easily frustrated; those who try our patience and incite "the natural man" within us. Occasionally, we give in to those tendencies. We get angry. We shout. We become irritable. We forget, just for a moment, that we are not the center of the universe and that our inferno of feelings is completely justified in this one blip in eternity.

Now, that isn't to say that things like righteous anger aren't a thing. Captain Moroni certainly uses it in Alma 60. But, most often, we find ourselves simmering in our negativity; we give in to the easy thing because, well, it's easy! It is far easier for me to be angry and contentious with a situation. It is way easier to complain and whine. Because that feels better, right?

There's this tight, enclosed feeling that fills my chest when I feel that sort of negativity. There is something inside me that does not like that, and does not approve. And I believe that we all have that; we all have the light of Christ, don't we? You are born knowing what is right and what is wrong -- so why is it so hard to do the better thing?

This week, the Lord has been trying to teach me to do the better thing despite my circumstances. Things have not necessarily been conducive to the best of missionary work lately. And that's okay. Things can always get better, and they will. I did not say that the first time I realized how heavy this trial was. I had to take a step back and evaluate the situation. That is when the Spirit came to me, and whispered, "What did the Savior do in a situation like this?"

How does the Savior problem solve? Did you know that there's an entire section about problem-solving in the Topical Guide? I didn't until a few days ago! Cool, right?!

Let's go to Matthew 11, where we read:

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light" (27-30).

Learn of me. Those words stuck out to me as I read. I thought of my Savior and His ministry. The Savior was constantly given moments where He could have appealed to the natural man. He was given every opportunity to be dragged down, to wallow in His misery, to forsake His mortal mission. But He didn't. Why?

Because He is "meek" and "lowly in heart." Never on earth was there a more humble man than Jesus Christ.

To face adversity with humility and patience is a heavenly virtue rarely obtained in this mortal life. It's hard, to say the least. It goes against everything we want to do and feel. But, it is heavenly.

I won't say I'm an expert on this. I am well-versed in the art of the natural man! But, I know that trying to emulate the Savior is what helps us feel at peace during those times when we're ready to give into the natural man. You must always remember the Savior. In our blessings over the sacrament, we are promised that as we "always remember Him" we will "have His Spirit to be with [us]". Emulate Him, and the Spirit will come to aid you.

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide int he vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me" (John 15:4).

Have a good week, y'all.

Godspeed!

Sincerely,

Sister Rose

Photo with the STLs!!

A Sister Photo plus some other missionaries who decided to join?? From left to right we have: Sister Larsen, Sister Golder, Sister Bennett, Sister Latimer, Sister Maynes, Sister Lindberg, Sister Steadman (NEXT ROW!) Sister Jones, Sister Conder, Sister Thorpe, Sister Anderson, ME!, Elder Jones, and Elder Smith!! HUZZAH!! So many names!

A slightly blurry photo with our resident Canadian, Elder Smith.

One great photo that perfectly describes me, Sister Jones, Elder Smith, and Elder Bennett.

Walking, walking, walking!


No comments:

Post a Comment