Tuesday, August 2, 2016

The Weirdest Week Ever

Goooooooooood afternoon, y'all! I'm having to write this so late due to some scheduling things this morning. But, all is well, and Sister Jones and I are happily e-mailing.

Did you know it's August? Can you believe that?! It's nuts how fast time goes by! So much has happened over the past eleven months. It's all cataloged in my journal as well as this blog. It feels like I've only been a missionary for a few months, but it's almost been a year!

This week has been kind of hilarious. For instance, I am now licensed and registered to vote in the state of Mississippi. That's what happens when you can't renew your license before your mission, boys and girls. We also managed to get rear-ended whilst driving to district meeting with the elders. (Before the moms begin to panic, we were not driving. The car is not drive-able right now, but it will be. Sister Jones has a small case of the whiplash, but is otherwise pressing on like the powerful pioneer woman she is.)  We also went on exchanges with the Orange Grove Sisters, Sister Conder and Sister Bennett. Exchanges are always fun, and always bring about all kinds of miracles.

Between stressing about miles, teaching lessons, and fixing cars, we were blessed with the load of preparing a baptism.

Let me tell you about Beth.

Beth was referred to Sister Golder and Sister Abril from the Bishop in the Biloxi ward. She'd told them she'd been baptized when she was eight years old, but the Bishop couldn't find a record of it anywhere. He'd been searching for it even when I arrived in Biloxi. Even so, Beth had fallen away from the Church when she was a teenager, and now that she's in her sixties, she'd felt the promptings to return -- but what about her records?

I don't know what happened to them. And frankly, at this point, it doesn't matter. Beth had a unique opportunity, and I had the blessing of being able to watch her grow as she invited the gospel back into her life.

Beth has been through hell and back. She's recited to us the trials she's endured with drugs, alcohol, abuse, and just about everything you can think of. She's been in dozens of churches, searching for God and following the Savior the way she could. For a while, she hated the Church, not wanting to have anything to do with it although a good portion of her family were members. She moved through life, living one day to the next. She eventually made her way to addiction recovery, and from then on, started a new life.

I met Beth my first day in Biloxi. The sisters had been teaching her for about three weeks or so. She was excited about the Book of Mormon, and was ready to dive headfirst into the gospel. She had forgotten much; everything was new to her, much like it would be new to someone who was just investigating the Church. But, she felt in her heart that these things were true.

We watched Beth denounce cigarettes for good. We watched her put aside coffee and tea. We saw her heart open up, and I cannot explain to you the change I've seen her undergo. She changed, everyone. She truly, deeply changed. I saw her spread her wings and fly. I saw her literally become brighter. The Spirit was touching her everyday, and she began to see the fruits of her efforts as we set her with a date to be baptized.

On July 30, 2016, Beth was baptized. She was then confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on July 31, 2016, during sacrament meeting.

There is something so special about seeing someone change, brothers and sisters. I cannot describe the happiness that I have physically seen in Beth. She is an entirely new person, and she knows it. She loves it. She has such a sweet, sincere, thrilling testimony about the gospel. She knows the Church is true. She knows the Book of Mormon is indeed everything it claims to be.

Do not believe you cannot change. Miracles can always happen. Expect them to. Do not believe that God doesn't answer your prayers or doesn't have you in mind. This week has been an answer to a dozen different prayers I and my companions have said. I have seen miracles happen with other investigators. The Spirit works with all of God's children who are trying to find the truth.

The truth is here, brothers and sisters.

I would like to bear my testimony to you that God and Jesus Christ truly did appear to Joseph Smith. I know that Joseph Smith had a question, and that question led to the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon is the proof of that restoration. If you want to know what I'm teaching, read that book. If you want to know if this whole thing I'm even talking about is true, read it. Read it with a sincere wanting to know; with "real intent" as Moroni would say. Be ready to act. God is waiting for those who are willing to change, and He will help them.

The church that Jesus Christ set upon the earth is back! How exciting is that?! We have all of the blessings that those back then did, and maybe even a few more. I know, without a shadow of a doubt that this gospel is true. I know that what I am doing is a sacred, honest work and that it is what my Heavenly Father wants for me. I know that there are those who are ready to receive this. They are ready for the gospel, and by golly, I will find them. By the power of God, I will find them.

We can only thank Heavenly Father for the miracles that happen week to week. He is amazing. He knows exactly what we need and when we need it. Don't doubt Him or His power. Remember His love, His confidence in you, and that as long as you are doing your best, you will have Heaven cheering you on. I know that. I've felt that.

I love y'all. I hope you've had a good week.

Godspeed!

Sincerely,

Sister Rose
Got into a crash. Awkward. But we're all okay! :D Left to right: Elder Ahanonu, Sister Jones, Elder Roberts, ME!

We went to see the Friendship Oak with some members from the Petal ward!!




 "The Three Degrees of Glory" by Beth. She did this with nail polish!


 The one, the only -- Sister Bennett.

 We had a hard time getting everyone to look at the camera... From left to right: Elder Robinson, Sister Golder, BETH!, Sister Jones, ME!, and Bishop Perkes
  


Books-a-Million did some legit stuff for the Harry Potter release party thing. We had no idea this was a thing. #MissionaryBubble
 



No comments:

Post a Comment