Monday, September 26, 2016

Orange and Growing?

Hello from Orange Grove, Miss'ippi!

Nothing makes me love being a missionary more than going to knock on a door, hearing my companions scream and run before I raise my fist to knock; then turning around and seeing a spider half the size of my face perched on a web in the walkway.

Amazing. Truly amazing.

It's been a dang weird week. As Sister Jones and I would say, what a wonderfully weird way to end a wonderfully odd transfer. Well, two transfers. It's been so weird.

In case you hadn't heard, my dearest, loveliest companion, Sister Jones was shipped home on Thursday nine months before her return date. And all because a fugitive had to run across the freeway. Goodness gracious.

We discovered she was leaving Monday night, and then she was gone Thursday afternoon. I hope she ended up in Utah. All I know is that we left her off in the Gulfport Airport security line, and then hopped into Orange Grove. I know that this decision was inspired. I loved being Sister Jones' companion. I loved learning from and with her. She's such a wonderful spirit, and I know she's going to continue blessing lives as she recovers from that darned car wreck.

Love you, Jonesasaur!

This turn of events has left me tossed in between areas -- Biloxi and Orange Grove. I've been trio'd with the Orange Grove Sister Training Leaders since Thursday. It's been an adventure, lemme tell ya. These girls are a hoot. If Sister Bennett and Sister Conder's mothers see this, know that your girls are the bomb, and I love them.

Oh! I guess I should also mention that it's transfer week. I don't rightly know what's going on with my district, but I know that I'm staying! I'll keep y'all updated on the rest of these hooligans once I know what's going on! All that I know is that another sister will be joining me in Biloxi, and I'm very excited!

This week, odd as it has been, ended with one of my most awaited events of the year -- the Women's Session of General Conference.

For all of my non-Latter-day Saint friends, General Conference is a time where we as a worldwide church gather around television screens, laptop computers, and in church buildings to hear inspiring messages from the leaders of Christ's Church. This is broadcast from Salt Lake City, Utah, and we get an entire weekend of it!

There is a special weekend specifically for the women of the Church, headed by women in the auxiliary leadership positions (e.g. Relief Society General Presidency, Young Women General Presidency, Primary General Presidency). It happened this past Saturday! And it was so exciting! Oh, I was so thrilled. Beyond thrilled. :D

I learned so much. I wish I could expound all of it to you. But, I can only expound a few words since I don't have a lot of time, and I just have too many thoughts running around in my brain. So, I will cover the overall theme that I felt from this conference --

-- the doctrine of Christ.

The basics of the gospel of Jesus Christ are the fundamental principles of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism by immersion for the remission of sins, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost through the laying on of hands, and enduring to the end. Just about every talk I heard centered around this subject, and how we can better ourselves as women and disciples of Christ, and specifically on how we can increase our faith.

Faith is the strongest conviction we must have. The world is in need of disciples of Christ, not pursuits of worldly wealth and admiration. The world is out to constantly test and tempt our faith; it wants us to doubt our Savior's power, our Father's love, and our divine destiny as sons and daughters of God.

But, faith is a hope for things that are not seen, which are true (Alma 32). It is a hope for a better tomorrow and a knowledge and confidence that we have the power to make it that way. \

Our Heavenly Father has a perfect love for us. We are to seek that kind of love and share it with others. "...and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren" (Luke 22:31-32). As we strengthen our faith and seek to be true disciples of Christ, we will be better able to carry those who have fallen and succor those who stand in need of succor.

You are to be converted, Jesus Christ is not looking for a lukewarm follower; He is seeking those who are willing to love Him with all of their heart, might, mind, and strength.

You must not be lukewarm.

As Moroni strengthened his armies against Amalickiah, as Alma and Amulek prayed for the strength to withstand their trials, we must have the faith to be converted.

Are you converted, my brothers and sisters?

Convert yourself by seeking out Christlike attributes. Become the person you want to be in Christ -- and even better, become the person Heavenly Father wants you to be in Christ.

I have witnessed a change in myself and many others on the road to discipleship. I may stumble and fall, but I have a Savior who has walked this way before, and He is bearing me up with every footstep.

And He will do the same for you.

Sorry for the short letter. Have a good week.

Love y'all!

Godspeed!

Sincerely,

Sister Rose

Sister Jones and I did some service for Sister CC and Shaina! They moved to Ocean Springs, hence the selfie with Sisters Steadman and Lindberg :)



 CHALK TALK! #TheFirstVision
 



 The gulf coast~

 Sister Jones and Sister Lindberg not appreciating my picture-taking
  


 Look at these adorable humans! + Elder Tenifa in the background. Photobombing. Doing what he knows best.
  


That sunset though

 Sister Bennett, ME!, and Sister Conder! #TrioLife

The district, courtesy of the lovely Sister Jones. From left to right: Sister Steadman, Sister Jones, ME!, Sister Lindberg, Elder Hughes, Elder Hunt, Elder Roberts. (next row) Elder Ahanonu, Elder Houston, Elder Bingham, Elder Tenifa, and Elder Scoresby

No comments:

Post a Comment