Monday, December 5, 2016

But If You Keep Reading the Bible....

Good rainy afternoon to y'all! How was your week? Can y'all believe it's December? I literally can't. Where did 2016 go? Let's hope the next few weeks are going to be better than ever as we prepare for Christmas!

We've had a rather awesome week here in Biloxi. Sister Greenhalgh and I have been doing quite a bit here! Sometimes it feels like we never have enough time to do everything we need to do in the week, but I suppose that's what the next week is for!

I would just like to say that becoming a missionary has been the best decision I've ever made. I wouldn't want to be doing anything else with my life right now. If I could spend more time dedicating my life to my Savior, I would. Eighteen months is simply not enough time to repay Him for what He's done for me -- then again, an entire life dedicated to Him wouldn't repay the price He paid for us. I love being a missionary.

I have a really neat story I want to share. So, this week, one of our appointments fell through. That happens, and we've learned to adjust accordingly. We decided to tract a street nearby. There was no particularly strong feeling we had about the street, but it hadn't been tracted my whole seven months in Biloxi.

We started knocking on doors. Few people were home. We met some kind folks who were enthralled in their football game, or were just entirely not interested. We tried our best to ask them questions to spark the Spirit in their hearts, but to no avail. Discouragement didn't overshadow us; we simply kept on, and continued to hope that Heavenly Father would open the heart of someone who was prepared for us.

We approached a house with cars clustered in every section of the driveway. A man was outside, grabbing some tools out of his truck.

"Excuse me!" Sister Greenhalgh chimed. The man looked up quickly, startled at our appearance. As we began talking to him, it was clear he didn't speak very much English. But, he understood what we said and in a few heavily accented words, he motioned towards the front door and went to get his wife.

A woman stepped out onto the porch while her husband disappeared behind the house. We told her our purpose and what this message would do for her, but she declined and mentioned that she attended the Catholic church.

"Have you ever heard of the Book of Mormon?" Sister Greenhalgh asked. The woman shook her head, wariness creeping over her features. We told her what the book's purpose was -- how it was another testament of Jesus Christ. But, again, she declined the offer.

"Well, do you need any service done?" I asked. She gave me a puzzled look. "Like, yard work or house work?"

She laughed. "You'd do that?" she said.

"Of course!" we both chorused. I pulled out a Light the World pass-along card and offered her our phone number, along with the Spanish missionaries' phone number in case she ever wanted to learn more about our message, or if she ever needed any service.

Her features softened as she took the card. Thoughts flicked across her eyes, and she looked up at us. "So if I had something for you, you'd come inside my house right now and do it?" she asked, a little hopefully.

"Yes!" we said. "Do you have anything?"

"I might, actually!" she said as she straightened. Her whole being brightened, and she asked, "Do either of you draw?"

I cannot tell you how excited I was. Sister Greenhalgh immediately volunteered me, and we came inside. As it turned out, her first grade daughter had a book project due in the next few days, but there was simply too much house work and errands to be done for her mother or siblings to help. So, I grabbed a pencil and a marker and drew what I could on a poster board while her little girl watched quietly.

Behind me, Sister Greenhalgh and the overwhelmed mother worked to clean up the living room and sort yard sale items. The little kids gathered around me to watch.

Brothers and sisters, no joy is comparable to the joy we feel when we serve others. A heavenly peace rests on my shoulders when I am able to serve another person, even if it's just in a small way. That mother continuously told us how she felt that God had sent us to her, and I also knew He had.

God has given you specific talents to share with others. Our talents were not meant to be hidden away; they were meant to be shared. We glorify God through the little acts of love that we do, and no greater love comes from service.

Share an act of love with someone. Pray for an opportunity to share your talent with someone this week. Help someone come closer to Christ by serving them the way He would.

I hope y'all have a good week.

Godspeed!

Sincerely,

Sister Rose

This was on the back of a lawn service trailer #TheSouth #ILoveIt

Us on T-Day

 What happens when missionaries have to go to a White Elephant party (yes, those are Ensigns)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment