Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Spring

Good morning, y'all! This email comes to you a smidgen earlier because we're now living the new P-Day schedule! And we love it! Truly a testament that this Church is led by Apostles called of God.

It's a little warm today. Like I said, it's basically spring. But y'all don't read these for the weather updates, right? That's what your fancy weather apps are for. You're here for all of the random, mundane missionary stuff I do, right? Yeah? Probably not. ;)

This past week, a lot of really good friends of mine are now home. To name a few, Sister Conder, Sister Bennett, Sister Golder, and Sister Steadman have all left the mission field and entered the afterlife where they will continue their missions as steadfast members of Jesus Christ's church. Thank y'all for your service. Each of you have touched my life in such different, personal ways and I can't wait to see how you bless the lives of those you meet.

This week, we did a lot of tracting. Tracting is always a fascinating experience. It's usually where I learn the most about what door I want on my future house, and also what kind of people own certain kinds of houses. I never know what to expect, but no matter which door I knock on, I know that the Lord is guiding whatever I or Sister May say.

To open your mouth is something the Lord commanded the early missionaries of the Church. In Doctrine and Covenants 28, He says, "And thou must open thy mouth at all times, declaring my gospel with the sound of rejoicing. Amen" (16). As missionaries, we are to open our mouths and proclaim the restored gospel of Jesus Christ to all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people.

I think too often we think of this as our duty, even as missionaries. As someone called to serve the Lord, it is my responsibility to proclaim the gospel to all I see, but why do we do this?

Also in Doctrine and Covenants, the Lord says, "Open your mouths and they shall be filled, and you shall become even as Nephi of old, who journeyed from Jerusalem in the wilderness" (33:8). Do y'all have any idea who Nephi was?! He's only one of my favorite Book of Mormon prophets! Please, read 1 Nephi if you don't know who he is. His testimony of the Savior, of the commandments, and of faith is truly what has strengthened mine as I've read the scriptures.

Open your mouth and you will become even like him! What! What on earth does that even mean?

We open our mouths not just for the blessings of eternity and of a strong testimony, but we open our mouths and seek to share this blessing with all because we love our fellowmen.

Jesus Christ was not concerned with Himself. His ministry was focused wholly on God's children and their needs. He knew they needed to have faith, to repent, to be baptized, receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. He knew they needed the higher law, and He suffered for them because He loved them.

Brothers and sisters, this is a gospel of love. This is not about us. I am not here to better myself. I am not here in Louisiana to seek myself and the vain things of the world, as Brigham Young put it. I am here to reach out to others and bring them the blessings of the Atonement that they have not accessed yet.

There is so much more out there, and it is in the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christ's church on the earth today and contains the fullness of the gospel.

If you want to know that, then ask. Seek after it. Study. Listen with your spiritual ears. Find with your heart. Heavenly Father will lead you.

Have a good week.

Godspeed!

Sincerely,

Sister Rose


When your companion is making cookies but she's 4'11" and we keep the baking stuff in the top cabinet.
  

I love taking pictures of sunsets!
If you want to know the perfect description of what it's like here
Us with Miger, one of our investigators. He's pretty cool ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment