Monday, September 21, 2015

Being Taught While You're Teaching

That awkward moment when you're pretty sure you have the First Vision memorized, only to start reciting it in a lesson and realize you're totally screwing it up. 

That definitely happened to me this week. Whoops! 

Hello, everyone! 

Mississippi's weather is totally crazy! It's rainy today, which will make tracting much more fun. This past week has been super hot. I'm getting really sick tanline, but that's all I can say that I enjoy about this heat. Sister Harrison and I don't talk about it much, since we both know we don't like it. The members here just laugh at me and say that I'll be in for a surprise next summer! 

I made a new friend this week! Her name is Sister Winkle, and she is so much fun! She's an STL from Diamonhead, which is in the Gulfport area of Mississippi. She loves books and poetry and writing as much as I do, and she has a beautiful testimony. She's going to change so many lives (and probably has already)! She and her companion, Sister Gary were coming to Brandon for a leadership thing with the president, so they asked if they could stay with us Flowood sisters for the night since it's such a long drive and we're close to Brandon. As it turns out, Sister Winkle's companion was Sister Harrison's trainer! Which makes her my mission grandma! And get this: we have the SAME NAME! Our first names are spelled the same, and my last name is her middle name! What are the odds of that! If she sends me the photos we all took, I'll send them! She and Sister Winkle are just so much fun! I hope I can see them again before they go home.

 This week, we went on exchanges with the Jackson Sister Training Leaders! Meaning, I spent Monday night and the majority of Tuesday in Jackson with Sister Hueston and her companion, Sister Moffet, spent all that time with my companion! 

It was so fun seeing the difference between Jackson and Flowood. We talked to some amazing people (that I'll probably never see again...to my dismay!) while we were out. People out here can be so open and willing to talk to us about our faith, and I know it's the Spirit trying to push them toward the truth. Even if someone doesn't react right away, I know we're planting seeds that will grow into something divinely inspired and amazing. 

I've seen this principle throughout this entire week, especially in investigators who have fallen through and told us the gospel isn't for them, even though we've felt the Spirit when talking to them. That's okay. God loves all of His children, and He knows they accept the gospel in their own time, or that they won't. But they'll all have the opportunity to hear it, whether it be here or afterwards. As missionaries, we do our very best to make sure everyone gets the chance to hear it here. While it breaks my heart that those people didn't want to continue learning, it warms my heart to know that the Lord loves them all the same, today, tomorrow, and forever.

I would also like to testify that missionaries are called of God to preach His gospel to the nations. We are sent to your doors because that's where the Lord wants us. While Sister Harrison and I were tracting this week, we came across this man named Larry who was sitting in his garage trying to cool off since his A/C broke. We walked up to him and all Sister Harrison said was, "We're missionaries, and we go to people and talk to them about the loving message of our Savior Jesus Christ." And he almost lost it. He immediately began telling us how sweet we were, and then told us that he'd been worried that Christ and Heavenly Father didn't love him, and that he was lost, and like he was forgotten. But us coming to him and saying hello and talking to him about Christ meant that no, he wasn't forgotten, and yes, he was still loved. 

You are all loved children of God. Don't forget that. 

We met a lot of other people this week, too. Some people seriously do not want to hear our message, and I've started laughing a little at some rejections after we leave their doorstep. Some people want to just talk to us about believing and what our purpose is, even if their viewpoint isn't religious. It's fascinating to hear others' take on our purpose. Some people are very open to hearing our message, and that's awesome! The people here are very inquisitive. I love their questions. They make me wonder about and see the gospel from a whole new perspective! It's awesome! 

As a new missionary, it's very easy to get caught up in wanting to be perfect, especially if you already set high standards for yourself. Being out here has taught me that I won't be perfect at everything, and that's okay. Learning takes time, and the Lord is teaching me to have patience with myself and how I learn and teach. I think it's important for all missionaries to learn that. If any new missionaries are reading this, know that it's okay if you struggle while you're studying, or teaching, or talking, or with everything -- we don't grow if we don't struggle. Embrace it! Love it! And push forward knowing that even if you weren't awesome today, you can always do better tomorrow, and remember you're always awesome if you're doing your absolute best. 

This letter is shorter than the last one, and I promise it isn't because this week has been terrible. Every week comes with its trials and problems, but the Lord trusts us with those and knows we can handle them. If He knows I can handle it, then I have no reason to think I can't. The same goes for y'all, too. 

You're all wonderful children of God, and He always has you in mind. I'll talk to you next week! 

Godspeed!

Sister Rose

Us with the STL's! From left to right: Sister Hueston, Sister Moffet, Sister Harrison, and ME! 
The sunset was so pretty while we were out looking for service! I thought I'd take a photo. There were lots of trees in the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment